Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

We had a great Memorial Day Weekend. Saturday, we went to visit Matt's Aunt Barbara who was in a hospice to help manage her pain as she is suffering from cancer.


Grace and Matthew in front of the hospice.

Mary and Matthew hanging out.
Matthew enjoying the grass.

We came home and had the missionaries come over to teach Mary and me Spanish. This was our second lesson and we decided to have a barbecue afterward which Grace and Mark joined us for. On Sunday, we picked up Grace after church and headed to visit the graves of her parents and grandparents. It was a beautiful day and the scenery in Lancaster is breathtaking. We passed many Amish buggies and even an Amish guy on his scooter. That is always my favorite to see.
This is not the Amish boy I saw, but I wanted you to be able to see what I'm talking about. I guess bikes are too technologically advanced, so they use these scooters instead.
This is at the cemetery in Strasburg.
Grace's Grandparents' graves. This cemetery lets you plant flowers, so Matt and Grace planted three flowers in front of each headstone.
Volunteers at Strasburg Cemetery planted 5,300 American flags. Each flag represents a soldier that has fallen in Afghanistan or Iraq. This really made a statement and reminded me of how grateful I am to the men and women who have given their lives in service to our great nation.
Baby Matthew liked the flags too.
This is a covered bridge in Amish country on the way to the second cemetery.
Matthew in front of his great grandparents' graves.

Monday, we took the baby hiking in Maryland at Rock Park. Mary has those pictures, so I will have to post them later when I can get them from her. It was beautiful, just a quick 75 minute hike. Matt carried Matthew in the Ergo carrier and Matthew was just perfect. It was hot and humid, so we were all very sweaty. Matthew even fell asleep towards the end. We went back to Mary's for a BBQ of pulled pork and smoked ribs. It was excellent.

Matthew and Trixie were very interested in each other.


2 comments:

Jackie said...

How'd I miss this one? Trix looks like she's lunging at M4. Maffew seems to be taking it well though.

Marian said...

Wow - I haven't checked the blog for a while - can't believe how many posts - love reading about what you are doing - all those pictures of Matthew are so cute and it just makes me miss him more! I love that you have him in the headstone pictures: a great contrast of the beginning of life and the end.