Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Moving to Pennsylvania

4 weeks ago, tomorrow, Matt and I hit the road for Pennsylvania. It's hard to believe it's been an entire month and yet I miss all of my family and friends in Utah so much that it seems much longer. We are living in Red Lion which is just east of York. Really, we are just a mile and a half into Red Lion, so we're not right in the downtown area of Red Lion where all the street signs are yellow with red lions on them. We are living in a rental town home community. It is huge. I have still to meet one person that lives here. We live in an end unit and are assuming that no one lives next door. One day we came home to find a notice on the neighbors door from a utility company saying that they owed over $400 and their utilities would be turned off the balance was not paid. That note was on there a long time, so no neighbor. The first and only visitor at my door (outside of family) was the sheriff! I had just been wondering that day if we had a doorbell. Well, we do. I opened the door to find the sheriff who asked for Nick. I told him I don't know a Nick and that we just moved in a week and a half ago. He took my name down to ensure they don't bother me anymore. We got a letter in our mailbox addressed to Uncle Nick's Diner. So, Matt and I lovingly refer to the previous tenant as "Uncle Nick." I just threw that letter away today. Probably should have sent it back to the post office, but that's too much hassle! Matt felt bad and said that he likes to hold on to mail for at least a month for previous tenants in case they come by looking for mail. I told Matt that I was really hoping that "Uncle Nick" never comes by after the visit from the sheriff!

Pennsylvania is really beautiful in the spring. The leaves started coming in on the trees a few weeks ago and so the highways are just lined with thick beautiful green trees. There are so many trees flowering. I have never seen so many different trees in bloom. I've taken a picture of a few. Right now the dogwoods are in full bloom - pink flowers on some and white on others. They are gorgeous. It's been raining a lot too. The first week we were here it rained every day for about a week. Matt was so upset - he said he was really wanting me to like this place and the rain was just never ending. Then we had mid to high 80's and I was loving it! Alas, this week it's raining like crazy again - overcast every day and chilly. There is a flood warning out tonight and I have to pick up Matt at the Baltimore airport at 10! Ah well!

There are so many places to see out here. So far, we've gone to Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Matt's mom, Grace, and I also went out to Amish country to explore. I still have lots of adventures ahead!


We (meaning Matt) drove a 17' U-Haul out with my car towed in back.  Here we are at our first stop - Sonic.  As we were pulling up to get the food, Matt realized that the truck was too tall for the drive through without doing some major damage to the roof.  Props to him for thinking of that BEFORE we actually did the damage.  So, we had to back up and pull up  again.  I was laughing so hard at Matt having to get out of the truck to pay the guy and get our food.  Had to take a pic!

This is a blooming tree/bush at our chapel.  It is nice that it only takes us 10 minutes to get there.  For some it would be a 30 minute drive, the boundaries are so wide-spread.  It does take us 50 minutes to get to the Stake Center.  
This is a tree that was in bloom a few weeks ago across from Grace's home in Columbia.  


6 comments:

Jewels said...

Thanks for the update Bobs!! It looks absolutely beautiful, let's hope some less shady neighbors move in soon!!

Jackie said...

Robyn,

Has anyone mentioned to you the the sky high crime rate in Red Lion. You are not safe there. Come back immediately. Not to mention, my mom is a kleptomaniac, watch your back.

Holly said...

Great job blogging Robyn, I am SO proud of you. I'm guessing Uncle Nick is probably not coming back anytime soon, if the sheriff is after him, but it could make for a good story! I LOVE spring back east. SO much color. And, I am glad you are going on adventures. You should go to Palmyra for the Hill Cumorah pagent. I always wanted to do that when I lived out that way, but it never worked out. . .

Marian said...

Loved your blog Robyn. I had to laugh about Uncle Nick! That was pretty funny. Just keep the doors locked! The pictures are great. Keep up the stories - we love hearing from you

Rumsey's said...

Loved talking to you the other day. I wanna see pics of your Boston and CR trips!

lisa said...

Thanks for the update Bobs! The pictures are great--it looks so pretty out there! I've always wanted to visit...should we shoot for the fall???