Sunday, April 5, 2009

Favorite Indian Recipes

A few months ago, we had book club at my house.  I made Chicken Tikka Masala and Mango Lassi.  These are two of my favorite things I order at the Bombay House (my favorite restaurant). It was fun because none of my girlfriends had tasted either.  I was happy that they all enjoyed it and promised them I would post the recipes.  I thought I better do it now, b/c as of Wednesday, I will be hitting the road to Pennsylvania!



Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe #25587 from recipezaar.com

This recipe appeared in the Chicago Tribune today (4/17/02). I haven't tried it yet but it promises to be delicious and I thought I should share it.

by tgobbi

2 hours | 1½ hours prep

SERVES 4

1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut in 1 inch cubes

Marinade

1 cup plain yogurt

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 teaspoons ground cumin

2 teaspoons ground red pepper

2 teaspoons black pepper

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt

1 piece minced ginger (1-inchinch" long)

6 bamboo skewers (6-inchinch")

Sauce

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 jalapeno, minced

2 teaspoons ground coriander

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon garam masala (buy in Indian market)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1 cup whipping cream

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Soak bamboo skewers in water.

For sauce, melt butter on medium heat.

Add garlic& jalapeno; cook 1 minute.

Stir in coriander, cumin, paprika, garam masala& salt.

Stir in tomato sauce.

Simmer 15 minutes.

Stir in cream; simmer to thicken- about 5 minutes.

Thread chicken on skewers, and marinate (in the refrigerator) for an hour or so.

Discard marinade.

Grill or broil chicken, turning occasionally, to cook through- about 8 minutes.

Remove chicken from skewers; add to sauce.

Simmer 5 minutes.

Garnish with cilantro Serve with basmati rice, naan or pita bread.

Note: You can make your own garam masala.

McCormick also makes garam masala; it's available in super markets.

Mango Lassi

Ingredients:

Ripe mangoes - 2 or substitute 1 cup canned mango pulp in case you don't have fresh mangoes. If using sweetened mango pulp, reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe.

Sugar - 3 tablespoons or as per taste

Milk - half cup

Yogurt - 1 cup

Method:

Peel the mango skin and separate the pulp from the seed. Discard seed.

Combine all the ingredients in a mixer/blender.

Adjust the ingredients as per your taste.

Serve cold.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Robyn,

Reason # 115,897 why you should not move to Pa.:
there are no Indian restaurants in Pa.

Rumsey's said...

MMMMM... I want to eat some, but too much work.