Tuesday, June 9, 2009

More Costa Rica pics

On the last full day of our trip we were driving from the coast to San Jose in order to be closer to the airport because we had an early flight the next day. On the way there we were detained by the Costa Rican police! We were driving down the road and a police officer stepped out in the road well ahead of our car. Not as sophisticated as chasing you with their car, and much more dangerous, but it did the trick. So the officer comes up to my window and starts telling me I was going really fast. He informs me that the speeding limit was 60 km and I was driving 100 km! Suddenly, I totally forgot ALL my spanish and was unable to communicate with him at all. He told me, while I feigned ignorance, that I'd have to pay a fine of 50 dollars if I paid it right then, and 70 dollars if I waited to pay at the car rental facility. I act like I have no idea what he's saying, so finally he asks if I have any money. In one of my pockets I had a few 20's, and in the other I had a few Costa Rican bills, which were worth next to nothing. I pulled out a few of the Costa Rican bills. He asked if Robyn had any dinero. I answered him in horrible, broken gringo spanish that she had "no dinero!" So, the policeman took the few thousand Costa Rican colones and said it was a "propina," or tip. And we were on our way! Fun times.


On our last full day in Costa Rica we went to do a canopy tour, which is when you go to the very top of a hill in a rain forest and take a series of zip lines all the way back down to the ground. Robyn wasn't able to go because of her delicate condition, but I was and it was a lot of fun. The zip lines went from one tree to another, and each tree was fitted with a platform. The zip lines and platforms were at least 10 stories above the ground.

4 comments:

Jon said...

Nice form.

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt said...

I know, my form was horrible, even comical as the guys on the platform pointed out.

Jackie said...

Again, taking Robyn to Costa Rica is in no way a substitute for her being around her family and friends.